Thursday, April 23, 2009

Keynote vs. PowerPoint - 2

Well, this week has been a head-turner!

I have mad skillz with PowerPoint, but I'll tell you, this week, working with Keynote, is turning me into a convert.

With a bit of ingenuity, the feature set of Keynote just slams PPT.

First off, creating a large presentation with many, many charts - I am able to copy a chart format and apply it to other charts in the series. Oh, and I can do this with multiple sets of charts - assigning each a new master.

The drag-and-drop functionality just continues to stun me.

Beyond dragging and dropping colours, I can reorder data in charts by ... dragging the columns instead of using my math PhD (not) to figure out how to convince Excel to do the same re-ordering.

When it comes to projecting a show - the presenter console is wicked.

Sure, with PowerPoint, I get the clock, the thumbnails ... but with Keynote I can customise this to suit me, dragging things around, resizing them, turning them on and off.

What gets me is that these features might be in PowerPoint, but I'm a power user and I haven't noticed them. I would have to dig and discover ... and maybe do a search.

Microsoft - your profit has dropped for the first time in 23 years - interested in listening to some suggestions about ... simplifying?